is a Consultant Upper GI, Bariatric & Metabolic & General surgeon. He graduated from University of Malaya in 2001 and completed his Masters of Surgery in his alma mater in 2009. He went on to do a clinical fellowship in Upper GI surgery (esophageal and gastric cancer surgery) and Minimally invasive surgery with further advanced training in National Cancer Centre, Japan for Upper GI cancer and advanced therapeutic endoscopy and then completed bariatric and metabolic surgery fellowship in Taiwan. He has been a senior lecturer and consultant surgeon in University of Malaya since 2010. In addition to general surgical procedures, his special interest is in laparoscopic bariatric surgery, gastrointestinal surgery, cancer surgery, diagnostic and therapeutic endoscopy. In 2015, he was awarded the Soudavar Memorial Fellowship for 3 months in surgical oncology at Memorial Sloan-Keterring Cancer Center, New York to learn the best in surgical oncology for esophageal, gastric and colorectal cancer surgery
Dr. Pok Eng Hong
It is well known that obesity is associated with the major components of the metabolic syndrome, such as insulin resistance, dyslipidemia, and Type 2 Diabetes mellitus, which lead to cardiovascular disease and early death. His passion for advanced laparoscopic surgery has led him to the paradigm of bariatric and metabolic surgery as a life changing surgery for better health. He has strong belief of metabolic surgery as a way of prevention of the disastrous complication of diabetes and metabolic disease.
His philosophy is to tailor care decisions to each patient as an individual for best possible care. With the use the latest technology and treatments to minimize the recovery time from treatment, thus helping patients find the best way to establish and maintain a healthy, active life.
- Metabolic GI surgery to treat type 2 diabetes mellitus/ metabolic syndrome
- Bariatric Surgery for obesity
- Laparoscopic gastrointestinal surgery
- Laparoscopic antireflux surgery for gastroesophageal reflux disease (GERD)
- Gastric cancer
- Esophageal cancer
- Advanced minimally invasive surgery
- Bariatric weight loss surgery
- Day care laparoscopic surgery
- Laparoscopic / Endoscopic endocrine surgery
- Laparoscopic cancer surgery
- Laparoscopic cholecystectomy
- Laparoscopic hernia surgery
- Upper Gastrointestinal disease
- Advanced therapeutic endoscopy for ESD/EMR/POEM
- Clinical nutrition support & management.